In 1948, brothers Frank & Bob Dennis, both engineers from Georgia Tech, purchased Lombard Iron Works, where Frank had worked as a co-op, and renamed it Augusta Iron & Steel Works, Inc. (AISW). The facilities were located along the canal in downtown Augusta, GA, and dated to the early 1800’s.
At one time, Lombard Iron Works had been one of the largest foundries and industrial supply houses in the Southeast. AISW continued with Lombard’s heavy fabrication, making boilers, barges, and fabricating industrial buildings.
As the interstate system was being built in the 1950’s, a customer asked the brothers to fabricate the steel for an interstate bridge. Recognizing a growth industry, the company moved into the bridge fabrication business. In 1967, the company built a new facility for additional capacity outside of downtown in neighboring Martinez.
By the early 1980’s, the second generation of the family was involved in the business through a son, a nephew, and a son-in-law of the founders. Frank, the older of the two brothers, retired first, followed by his younger brother, Bob, a few years later.
In 1997, Bob’s son-in-law, Bo, purchased the company, closing the downtown plant and moving the entire operation to its Martinez facility. The third generation joined in 2011 when Bo’s son, Robert, joined the company full-time. In 2016, Robert purchased the company upon his father’s retirement.
AISW continues to operate out of its Martinez plant, fabricating steel plate girders and beams for bridges primarily in the Southeastern United States. The company has thrived against much larger competitors by consistently manufacturing a quality product, being responsive to its customers, and exceeding their expectations.